Nystrom Young Citizens Grade 5 Investigate
A comprehensive, hands-on social studies curriculum
Investigate Young Citizens
In this complete, interactive curriculum, teachers invite students to discover where history happened in order to understand how history happened. Investigate American history with lessons that don’t spoon-feed answers but instead ask essential questions. History takes place in students’ minds as they build their own understanding through real experience and hands-on activities.
Inquiry & Literacy
This literary-focused, social studies curriculum features an engaging student book, detailed teacher’s guide and online platform, wet-erase maps and globes, engaging activities, leveled student readers, and more. Student’s will discover more about the history of our nation, as many of the components touch on important United States history.
Students learn better when they are actively engaged. Nystrom Young Citizens includes hands-on maps, globes, and activities for students to not only develop literacy and inquiry, but also key geographic mapping and spatial thinking skills. The curriculum as a whole helps students learn how to take informed action with more academic rigor and less work.
A new elementary curriculum crafted for the modern classroom, Nystrom’s Young Citizens Grade 5 has lessons that are available digitally to promote higher level thinking, and are easy to follow throughout the program. The online platform features many additional features, such as engaging activities and auto graded assessments. Both teachers and students can access content anywhere, anytime.
Discover more about Young Citizens
The grade-specific texts use comic-style storytelling that builds from foundational skills. The chapters each focus on United States history so students can gain a deeper understanding on how the country came to be. 30 books are included with the following chapters:
- Chapter 1: What Was Life Like For The First People in The Americas?
- Chapter 2: Why Did Europeans Come To The Americas?
- Chapter 3: How Did The English Colonies Grow?
- Chapter 4: How Did The 13 Colonies Become The United States?
- Chapter 5: How Did the United States Expand?
- Chapter 6: How Did The United States Struggle To Stay Together?
Leveled Student Readers
The Leveled Student Readers are grade specific in the program. Young Citizens Grade 5 includes 7 unique titles in 4 different reading levels, 8 copies of each, for a total of 224 Leveled Student Readers.
- Ancestral Pueblo People: What Was Life Like?
- The Pilgrims and the Wampanoag: What Was Life like for These Early Americans?
- The Triangular Trade: What Did Enslaved Africans Experience?
- Constitution Writers: How Did they Form a More Perfect Union?
- Inventors and Their Inventions: How Did They Help America Grow?
- The Civil War: How Did Everyday People Take Action?
- Folktales of the Frontier: What Captured the American Imagination?
- The 1940’s: How Did World War II Change Life in America?
The online learning platform provides access to all the books and activity cards in the program, plus the platform features engaging activities, auto-graded assessments, and additional materials that are easy to access anywhere with an available internet connection.
Teacher and class access are included.
Enhance the Classroom